The Jamie Oliver Food Foundation launches its first-ever Food Revolution Day this Saturday, May 19, 2012 to inspire, educate, and empower people everywhere to stand up for real food. The weekend of events will bring together an international community of foodies, chefs, parents, educators, companies, activists and celebrities to arm people with the knowledge and tools to make healthier food choices.
• Farm Fresh MarketPlace and Organic Christians are hosting A Food Revolution Day celebration. Fun DAY Full of Healthy Food and Local Farmers - Enjoy learning about healthy lifestyles, local farm production, and fun activities for children. Receive information on various topics ranging from childhood obesity awareness to meet and greet with local farmers, and education on where our food comes from. - Demonstrations and cooking tutorials are given on a variety of cooking topics. Activities are ongoing throughout the day so guests can stop by for just one activity or enjoy the entire celebration! - All ages are invited to celebrate food, history, local culture, and healthy cooking at Food Revolution Day. The events will be from 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday at Farm Fresh MarketPlace located at 3402 S. Main Street in Salisbury (U.S. 29, on the right just before Airport Road). Go to www.MyFarmFresh.net for more details.
• Bread Riot will host its annual Riot in the Pasture from 3–7 p.m. Sunday. The days is a local food awareness event featuring a farm-to-fork dinner at Hoffner Organic Farms in western Rowan County. Visit www.breadriot.org for more details.
• Food Revolution Day Free Food Tasting- Mooresville. The Race City Festival with Chef Troy Gagliardo Local food tasting sponsored in part by Motown Spice Provisions. Downtown Mooresville, NC
• Harvest Moon Grille - Charlotte. Sunday, May 20th at 6:30PM
Join others in the Food Revolution community for a special social dining experience! Grubwithus has reserved a special table at Harvest Moon Grille in Charlotte for the community to meet up over delicious food. ReserveBook your individual seat on Grubwithus and enjoy talking about real food with your new friends! 235 N. Tryon Street, Charlotte, NC 28202
• Food Revolution Day at Atherton Market - Charlotte. We'll be whooping it up for real food with cooking demonstrations, the chance for kids to make a healthful snack, a market-wide scavenger hunt, and recipes, health coaches, and much more to make it a day to celebrate all things local and fresh. 2104 South Blvd, Charlotte, NC 28203
• Food Revolution Day - Cary: Stop by the Western Wake Farmers' Market Saturday May 19th between 8 and 12 to learn more about how to shop healthy and locally on a budget. Learn strategies to incorporate local foods into your weekly budget and menu as well as how to start your own backyard garden. 1225 Morrisville Carpenter Rd, Cary, NC.
Whole Foods Market Cary! To inspire change in people's food and lifestyle habits! Hours 10am-3pm -No need to preregister. Come by anytime for any activities: Healthy eating on a budget and recipe demos. Healthy eating education.
Jamie Oliver will not be at our local events but through the magic of Google+ Hangouts On Air, anyone from around the world can watch Jamie Oliver host a live dinner party with some lucky fans and supporters in a live, multi-person video conversation. Tune into the broadcast at 8:00 P.M. EST from Food Revolution’s Google+ page. It will also be shown live on the homepage of foodrevolutionday.com AND youtube.com/foodrevolution.
Other local events this weekend:
• Outdoor Vendor Market at Freshly, Denver - 9:00am until 5:00pm. vendors, live jazz & great food! 980 North Highway 16, Denver, NC
• Got To Be NC Festival- Raleigh Sate Fairgrounds. More info: http://www.gottobencfestival.com
• Salisbury-Rowan Symphony Guild presents: A Symphony of Gardens 2012. Rowan County.